"If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you: I am here to live out loud." ~ Emile Zola

01 August 2011

DIY: Vintage Fabrics & Trim Tote

Inspired by my ever-growing stash of vintage and antique fabric, trim, and buttons, a love for shabby chic, and a recent Etsy search for a newhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif bag, I took an old tote and made it new (for me) and fun!

I started with a plain cotton tote silk-screened on one side that we used for grocery shopping. I scavenged through my fabric pile and came across a piece of green and cream vintage toile with a lovely country scene (thanks to a purchase from the incredible Red Stripe Vintage on Etsy). I hand-stitched it over the side of the tote with the silk-screened image and added bits of lace and fabric scraps. Some antique buttons and stitched in green thread around some of the images on the toile were nhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifext. Lastly, sewed a pocket on the inside!http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

Here's the result!





























































I am not a sewer in that I have no machine and I don't have much skill, whether using machine or hand. Using an old tote not only solved having to make an entire bag from scratch, but recycled an old bag and made the project even more eco-friendly. My messy hand sewing skills worked perfectly with the shabby chic style. I have been making a LOT of jokes about my sewing- it's probably getting old. ;)

I used my bag the other day for the first time, and got some interest from people wanting their own. Please get in touch if you want to send me an old tote- I'd be happy to do a custom project for you!

And here are some other DIY fabric projects I've come across that I would love to do with a machine (a friend promised to give me an extra) and practice! They are just too sweet not to share! :)

Vintage House Dress to Summer Smock

Summer Skirt & Market Bags

One-Hour Skirt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your new tote is absolutely gorgeous! Look out sewing world, once you get your new machine there will be no holding you back! : )